Thursday, November 11, 2010

I Learned a BIG and Important Lesson Today

Ok, I learned an important lesson today.  I had to withdraw my story from May December Publications because the publisher disclosed he is currently serving a prison sentence for child molestation.  I guess this is something that wasn't kept totally silent, but in all the time I corresponded with him (which I found out was really through his wife), I never heard one word about it.  Apparently some people started making enough noise that he felt he needed to let everyone know.  He posted his story on a Facebook page (he also has a Facebook wall and he's friended a lot of people, guess you can have a computer in prison) and I also received an email which gave me the courtesy of withdrawing my story if I wanted, which I did.  Don't get me wrong, this man does write books and does publish anthologies, and I thought I had checked everything out sufficiently.  However, as a new author, I now believe I need to find an established company to do business with.  I dont' believe I was lied to, the truth was just omitted.  So guess the lesson learned is:  Do Your Homework!!  Check them out and check them out some more.  Don't assume anything.  I hope what I've learned will help someone else.  Now it's off to find a new publisher - wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. oh that's too bad. best of luck in finding a new publisher

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my blogger friends, so go ahead and comment away!