Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Editing a Manuscript - Ugh!

I really don't mind editing, I catch myself doing it all the time when I'm reading something.  However, having said that, I am getting tired of editing my manuscript.  As most writer's know, a lot of editing is done as you go along, I tend to backtrack at times and edit.  My book is finished, but I've probably edited it to some degree at least 3 times.  Now that I have the finished product printed out and in my hands, I am doing the final edit.  The main problem I'm having right now is that this is my work and I'm missing stuff, some of it is obvious mistakes.  I didn't think I would need someone to edit my book, after all I made an A in editing in college for Pete's sake, doesn't that count for something?  Guess it is true, that's it's difficult to edit your own work.  I've decided to finish my edit, then I'm going to hand off the manuscript to a friend, we'll see what they come up with.  I'm hoping that the edit is fine, that will help me feel more confident about editing any future works.  So, just wondering, any of you have problems with editing your own work?

3 comments:

  1. I've never done much editing other than to check the spelling in my blog posts. My cousin told me one time when she caught a typo on my blog that an old editors trick is to read backwards :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read through short articles and feel my grammer and all are good.Then I send them off and sometimes share what I sent with a friend in a different time zone, and bam, there was one minor infraction.Just did a revision and spell check on 28 pages and thought I had all the bugs out, but the computer feels different.Funny it was all good last month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Editing is my favorite part of writing a story (I write for newspapers/magazines). The part I abolutely hate is sitting down with a blank page and that first stage of trying to get all the ideas in my head out and into some sort of written order!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my blogger friends, so go ahead and comment away!