Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Book Trailers? For Real?

We've all heard of movie trailers, but this is a new one.  Was reading a blog that has a lot of advice on what a writer really needs (like a website), and the blogger talked a little bit about book trailers, which in their opinion was a waste of time and money.  So I decided I had to check that out.  I remember hearing about something new coming out where you can read a book, say on Kindle, and you occasionally get a short video of a scene, but this is different.  So I went to YouTube, typed in book trailers and viola - a whole list came up.  I would never have thought of doing a book trailer, but hey, if it's another way to get exposure I don't see anything wrong with it.  Say you went the traditional publishing route and received nothing but rejections.  Then you put your book on Kindle (from what I can tell, you only get 35% in royalties for now), but you also made a book trailer to promote your masterpiece.  The trailer works, your book sells, and you eventually make money - it may not be the ideal situation, but it's still better than your book sitting in a box on the bottom shelf of your computer desk with all the accompanying rejection slips.  The trick to all this, I'm beginning to realize, is to get your name out there, but to be smart about it.  Using venues like YouTube, Amazon, Technorati, etc. are just some of the tools at our disposal.  Now, that whole having your own website thing, I can't even think about that yet.  I haven't even begun to master blogging and it's definitely something I want to be familiar with before venturing any further.  If you're interested, go check out the book trailers.  Waste of time and money?  Worth every penny?  What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. interesting concept. The internet sure has opened up a lot opportunity to anyone that wants to take advantage of it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my blogger friends, so go ahead and comment away!